Small Business Technology Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Personality plays a big factor in Twitter success

I opened an account on Twitter back in 2007. (www.twitter.com/thetechcoach) At first, I really had no idea what I was doing. I just knew that if I was going to get on board with this new thing called “social media,” I’d better learn all I can about Twitter, and watch how others were using it.


I learned that following others on Twitter that had similar interests was a good first step. I searched Google to find small business and technology companies that were already on Twitter, and I followed them. I engaged in 140 characters or less micro-conversations, a little at a time. I found that if my Tweets included some of my technology and general small business knowledge, a few other like-minded folks would follow me back, it seemed it was working

But the real surge came when I lent my own personality to my tweets, I tend to be a bit sarcastic in a fun way and have been told I have a sharp wit, I let that spill over into my Tweets. I have found those two qualities to be very beneficial on Twitter. If I add some humor to the equation, I usually get several new followers within hours.

The best part of being active on Twitter has been the chance to meet people from all kids of industries, and even throughout the world, that are part of my industry, or industries that rely on the services companies like mine provide.

So don't be afraid to be yourself on Twitter, if you succeed in conversations by being yourself in real life, do it on Twitter too, it'll pay off, and don't worry, people aren't NEARLY as easily offended as you might think they will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment