Small Business Technology Blog

Monday, June 8, 2009

Are *YOU* sending spam?

A client recently emailed me to ask:

"Hi Scott: I am receiving spam e-mails from myself that I have not sent. I cannot block them to junk mail because they appear to Outlook like they are being sent by me. Do you think I have a virus?"

I answered quickly from my blackberry:

"This is somewhat common, the emails aren’t coming from your computer, just as your email, likely someone has picked up your email address either from your website or from a forwarded email that ended up in a spammers hands and has now been added to the list, not only are you getting spam, as all of us do, you’re “sending it” in that they are “spoofing” or faking your email as the outgoing address. I see this fairly regularly and just about everyone has the same reaction so not to worry, in most cases they move on to a new address in a short time and your name drops off the “sender” list fairly quickly, few days maybe weeks. Not to worry!"

His reply came shortly after:

"Thanks, good explanation. It started a couple of weeks ago and is starting to come on something serious in the last couple of days. I will be sure to let you know if it gets any worse or seems to send more often, thanks again!"

Another satisfied Customer!

No comments:

Post a Comment